HDFC Securities Limited is a bank-based, full-service stock broking financial company in India. It is the trading/distributing arm of HDFC Bank. It has its headquarters in Mumbai with presence across major cities and towns in India as well as Bahrain, Hong Kong and Dubai. It has customer base of around 1.8 million operating through around 273 branches in 190 cities.
HDFC Securities provides a real-time platform to invest and trade in the following segments: Equities, currency trading, mutual funds, IPO’s, futures and options, NRI offerings, national pension system, insurance, fixed deposits/bonds and other value added services. The company is also known to provide loans including, home, personal, auto, educational, against securities as collateral.
HDFC Securities, being a subsidiary of HDFC Bank, offers an additional advantage of unique 3-1 integrated account (Trading + Savings + Demat). This implies that your bank account of HDFC Bank is directly linked to your trading account. Manual transfers of funds are not required to be done each time. Whenever the trading account falls short of funds and you are looking to buy some stocks, your money from bank account of HDFC bank directly gets transferred through the trading account
HDFC securities Trading Platforms
It offers multiple trading platforms, the software of which designed and maintained in-house by the bank-based brokers. The investment platforms are specialized for beginners to experienced, across all devices from Web, desktop to mobile phones.
1. HDFC Securities ProTerminal: It is an integrated, comprehensive tool for traders and analysts. It is state-of-the-art trading platform for both beginners and experienced, which can be accessed through desktop or laptop. Its key features include:
- Customized watchlist
- Filtering of stocks plus focus on stocks based on defined metrics through stock screeners.
- Customized single screen trading
- Advanced technical analysis and charting
- Heat map feature
- News updates and global market trends
- Sentimental analysis
2. HDFC Securities BLINK: It is a terminal based trading application that can be downloaded and installed on a desktop or laptop. Key features include:
- High trading speed
- Customized trading platform
- Single user interface across different trading and investment segments
3. Mobile Trading App: This feature is available across devices iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry in English and 11 Indian regional languages. Key features include:
- Track and integrate portfolio and investment
- Trade in Equity & Derivatives with updates and details in single click
- Access to research reports and insights
Account Opening Charges
HDFC Sec is a relatively expensive stock broker with the following charges;
- Trading Account Opening Charge (one time): Rs 999
- Demat Account Opening Charge (one time): N/A
- Trading Annual maintenance charge (AMC): N/A
- Demat Account Annual Maintenance Charges (AMC): Rs750
Though brokerage charges may vary, the general brokerage charges are listed below:
- Equity Delivery: 0.5% or Rs 25, whichever is higher
- Intraday Delivery: 0.1%
- Equity Futures: 0.05% or Rs 25, whichever is higher
- Equity Options: Rs 100 per lot
- Currency Futures: Rs 23 per contract
- Currency Options: Rs 20 per contract
- Commodity: NA
Margin trading is the feature which allows customers to buy their favorite stocks with limited funds. HDFC Securities offers the following margin values, of course they are negotiable:
Equity: Upto 20 times for Intraday and 2 times for Delivery.
Equity futures: NA for Intraday
Equity options: NA for Intraday
Currency futures: NA for Intraday
Currency options: NA for Intraday
HDFC E-margin facility
E-margin facility is a margin trading facility offered by HDFC Securities to its clients where they can buy more of their favorite stock by paying off a less percentage of total trade value initially and can hold the stock for 180 days. So this facility benefits its clients by offering extra margin on their trades. HDFC Securities interest charges would be 18% + GST on outstanding debit balance from the first trading day of E-margin coverage.
HDFC Securities has launched in Derivatives Trading for their NRI clients. NRIs can also now trade in Derivatives through their NRO account. Derivatives trading enhances leverage on trading limits where one can trade in large number of stocks for a small margin.
HDFC Securities has a strong, trust-worthy brand and repute. However, investors cannot overlook the high maintenance and brokerage charges. If you are ready to pay the premium for better services (which may not always make sense), then HDFC Securities maybe a good option for consideration.