PAN Card or Permanent Account Number card is a 10 digit alphanumeric number issued by the Income Tax department and is compulsory for all those who are liable to pay income tax. Though, it is not obligatory for all citizens to have a PAN card, but, since it is a mandatory document for many financial transactions, having a PAN card is important.
Some of the most common transactions like opening a bank account, applying for a debit or credit card, buying or selling tangible assets, high-value fund transfers, remitting money outside the country, purchasing mutual funds require you to submit your PAN card details. A PAN card serves as an official government proof for age and name of the PAN holder for KYC purpose. Hence, even you are not liable to pay taxes as of now it is still advisable that you get your PAN card as soon as possible.
How to apply for a PAN card?
For all the citizens of India Form 49A is the application form for a PAN card and in case of NRI and foreign citizens wanting to apply for PAN Card Form 49AA is applicable. PAN card application can be made online or offline depending upon your own preference.
Offline application process
- Download Form 49A OR Form 49AA as per your eligibility from the UTIISL OR NSDL website and take a printout of it.
- Fill the form in the indicated format with all the information required.
- Attach self-attested copies of proof of identity, date of birth and address proof, 2 photographs along with the duly signed form.
- Submit this form with all the documents to the nearest PAN card center along with a cheque or demand draft of Rs 118, which is the processing fee for your PAN card application.
- After submission of your form, you will receive the PAN card at the address mentioned in the form within 15 working days.
Online application process
- Visit on either the TIN NSDL website or the UTISL website for online application. The links to the websites are https://www.tin-nsdl.com/services/pan/pan-index.html and https://www.utiitsl.com/UTIITSL_SITE/pan/index.html respectively.
- At the bottom of the page where you will see apply for a new PAN, select your category.
- The relevant form will appear on your screen. Fill in the form with all the personal details needed in the form.
- Once the form is filled, you will be asked to upload the documents for proof of birth, address and identity along with your photo and signature.
- After uploading the necessary documents, press the submit button.
- You will be directed to the page to make the payment for the processing of your PAN card.
- After the payment is made, an acknowledgment receipt bearing a 15 digit number will be generated. This acknowledgment receipt along with your photograph posted on it needs to be sent at the Income Tax PAN Service Unit. The address is Income Tax PAN Service Unit, NSDL E-governance Infrastructure Limited, 5th Floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune-411016.
- After the acknowledgment receipt is received at the NSDL office you will receive the PAN at the address mentioned in the form within 15 working days.
List of documents which are valid and can be submitted as proof
For Proof of Identity
- Any ID issued by the government such as Aadhar card, Driving Licence, Voter ID, health card issued by central or state government etc.
- Pensioner Card with applicant’s photograph
- Arms Licence
- Bank certificate issued on the letterhead of the bank and attested by the issuing officer. The certificate should have an attested photograph and mention the bank account number of the applicant.
For Proof of Age
- Birth certificate issued by the Municipal Authority
- Matriculation certificate
- Driving license
- Marriage certificate
- Pension Payment order
- Domicile certificate issued by Indian Government
For Proof of Address
- Any utility bill such as electricity bill, gas bill, water bill, telephone connection bill etc.
- Mobile bill of postpaid connections
- Bank account statement or credit card statement
- Passbook of Post office account
- Voter ID
- Driving License
- Domicile certificate issued by the Indian Government
- Aadhar Card
Things to keep in mind while filling up your PAN card form
- All fields which are marked with (*) are to be filled in compulsorily.
- The form has to be filled in English only.
- Only one alphabet to be written in one square box and two words to be separated by leaving one box blank.
- Photographs sent with the form should not be clipped or stapled. The size of the photograph should be 3.5cm x 2.5 cm.
- At the time of filling the form, you are required to fill surname before the first name but on the PAN card, the sequence is- the first name followed by the surname.
if you still have any queries please feel to drop a comment we would get back to you.